Sunday, December 5, 2010

Book Review: A Rush of Wings

Rush of Wings, A: A Novel
Book Details:
Title: A Rush of Wings
Author: Kristen Heitzmann
2003, Bethany House
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0845-4
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Christian Fiction


Book Summary (from the back cover):
Though her panic is real, Noelle St. Claire is uncertain what danger she is fleeing. Fragmented images and sliver of memory have driven her to abandon her wealthy, sheltered life in New York for the hope of a haven - remote and safe.


Noelle's arrival at the Rocky Mountain horse ranch owned by Rick Spencer and his brother Morgan causes more than a little stir. Beautiful, vulnerable, yet strangely secretive. Noelle is an enigma the two contrasting brothers see to unlock. But as their attentions breach the wall she hides behind, the past becomes a menacing threat from which Noelle can no longer hide.


My Review:
Wow! This book put me though the paces - I loved it, I devoured it, it made me so irritated that I wanted to put it down and then it redeemed itself in the end.


This is the first book I've ever read by Kristen Heitzmann and I have to say I will be checking more of her books. A Rush of Wings was beautiful and suspenseful. She gave you glimpses into what was coming, but you were never really sure until it happened. A few places were a little predictable, but not overly so.


Rick Spencer is a wonderful character. He loves God and is devoted to Him. He has waited his entire life for the perfect mate and I loved his character from the first. But this is the part where I was so irritated with the book - he made stupid mistakes. Things that someone who had been a church-goer and Christian as long as he had (and had waited as long as he had!) should have seen coming. He put his love for Noelle before his love for God and of course there were consequences. I was really frustrated by that, but came to appreciate it in the end. Although it was stupid, it's something that happens to Christians everyday. Don't we always hear about hypocrites? Of course we do... because humans make mistakes and let their emotions get in the way of God's purposes.


Noelle is running from something and we don't know what. I felt like it took a little long for her to figure out what she was running from and that portion of the story was a little drug out, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I think the author did a good job of making her scared, but determined - confused, but not stupid - beautiful, but real.

I was up late a couple nights reading this book. I was pretty captivated by it almost all the way though. As I said, I will be checking out more of her books in the future!




Like My Blog? Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments: