Monday, June 7, 2010

Bunco and a Recipe


bun`co or bun`ko
1. A swindle in which an unsuspecting person is cheated; a confidence game.
2. A parlor game played in teams with three dice.
3. A winning throw in the above game; three of a kind of a specified number.
Source: The Bunko Book by Steven Pratt

The first Monday of every month I get together with a bunch of girlfriends and play bunco. What's bunco you say? It's a dice game, played in teams of two with usually 12 people. It's a little hard to explain, so if you really want to see the rules, how to play, etc, go visit buncorules.com for an overview.

There are many groups out there and they play many different ways, but when I started this group about four years ago with a couple friends we decided it would be fun to have themes each month at our bunco night. Tonight's theme is Prom and so of course we are all breaking out our old bridesmaids dresses and prom dresses (if we still fit in them) and wearing them out! Our husbands and boyfriends think we're crazy, but it's super fun! Here are some examples from past bunco nights:

May 2010 - Clue Board Game theme
(I was Miss Lavender, one of the made up characters)
July 2009 - 70s Theme
(I wore my mom's original dress and 70s boots!)

September 2009 - Pirate Theme
(I don't think there's anything to say here - haha!)

Anyway, some people are really into it and some of the girls are not so into it (the theme part), but we have a lot of fun, eating dinner, dressing up and gossiping while playing a rather pointless dice game. =) I'm very excited for our monthly meeting tonight (and hoping I fit in my dress!)


So, I thought I'd post another one of our favorite recipes - the Big Guy always asks me to make this for him when he and his buddies go hunting in the fall and I can't blame him... its really good.

Ingrediants:
2 carrots (we skip this because DH hates carrots)
1 celery stalk
1 small onion
1/4 cup butter
 2 garlic cloves, minced (I use the jarred kind)
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 - 14.5 oz can chicken broth (low sodium)
2 cups milk
4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (I buy real bacon crumbles at the store)

  1. Cook bacon until crips; drain on paper towels and discard fat

  2. Mince garlic cloves

  3. Thinly slice carrots

  4. Finely chop celery

  5. Melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.

  6. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes or until tender.

  7. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.

  8. Stir in chicken broth and milk; cook 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.

  9. Add cheese, salt and pepper, stirring until well blended.

  10. Stir in additional milk, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
Yum! It's really good! I serve mine with rolls.

No comments: