Monday, November 14, 2011

My Favorite Pumpkin Bread Recipe

We are having a quiet sort of day at home today.
I'm trying to get some housework caught up as well as enjoying the ONE day this week where we don't have to run somewhere (... well, other than me having to work this evening).

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to our women's bible study potluck thingy. It's the last day of the session and we're just going to eat and talk, I think. I wasn't going to bring anything... I mean, I think I'll be doing good to just GET there after working until 1:00am, but then I decided I'd make some yummy pumpkin bread. It's something I can do ahead of time and it actually tastes better the next day!

Plus, the  bonus is that it makes 3 smaller loaves and I'm having some friends over Friday night, so I'll just save a loaf for Friday!

I thought I'd share.... I found this recipe a few years ago... I've modified it some, so I'll copy the original recipe and then put my modifications in red.


Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
Ingredients:
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/2 cup applesauce
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar usually I eliminate a 1 cup - tastes fine
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water, vanilla, and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just  blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This recipe makes the most delicious, moist pumpkin bread! I have seriously made it to give away as Christmas gifts in the past because it's that good. I've never frozen it, but other reviewers say it freezes well. 

Enjoy!

No comments: