Sunday, July 25, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

Sometimes I feel like our life is too busy. Then I ask myself what we could cut out and most of it is kinda mandatory.

This weekend...
  • Thursday night - I worked the night shift and got off at 7:00 am Friday morning. (wishing I could cut this one out... but alas mandatory)
  • Friday - Got one hour of sleep while the Little Guy was crying in his crib in the other room. Went to my grandma's to help my mom and uncle with the estate sale. Came home at 10pm and made cookies for family gathering the next day. (In hindsight... I could have bought the cookies...)
  • Saturday - Got up at 7am to drop off my car at the hospital and then drive up north to the zoo for get-together with the in-laws. Stayed until 2pm and got to work at 3pm. Worked until 11:30pm. (Wished I could have cut work again, but couldn't find anyone to work for me, so I had to go. Once a month get together with the in-laws - mandatory)
  • Sunday - Skipped going to an actual service at church to sleep in. Got up to work in the Toddler room during the 10:30 am service. Stopped by the estate sale to see how it was going and then ran home, grabbed my stuff for work and now I'm at work until 11:30 pm again. (I did cut... cut out the "me time" part! Committed to volunteering in the Toddlers each week, which I feel is an important part of being part of a community and once again... the stupid WORK!)
So... you see? The in-laws have had this zoo thing planned for awhile and I couldn't get out of it since we only see them about once a month as it is. In hindsight, I probably just should have bought cookies or something, but that kinda goes against the grain for me, so I didn't think of it at the time. And I could have skipped out on the garage sale, but my mom really needed me (did you miss my post on my grandma's house and her hoarding??)

How do we have such busy lives? I remember as a kid staying home for several days in a row! I can't even remember the last time I did that unless I was sick or something! I wish I could say that it is because I'm working, but that's not even totally the problem. Although... if I wasn't working I'd definitely have more energy for all this other running around.

Does anyone have a cure for this disease - busy-itis? Because if you've found it, I need it. Believe it or not - I do say "no" quite a bit!

1 comment:

Annette said...

I'm sorry for the late comment--it's now Tuesday--but I just HAD to respond to this post. Yes, I have busy-itis too and wish I could find a cure. It's not fair that "life" (beyond our children) often gets in the way--work, family/friend favors, and regular errands like grocery shopping, car maintainence, etc.

I like how you made a list to see if there was anything you could cut out for next time. (I think it's important to examine that to-do list and prioritize it too. Sometimes things can wait, or we don't have to say 'yes'.

Anyways, I love this post because I feel your pain. There just isn't enough hours in the day...Enjoy your week!