Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Book Review: Thanks For The Memories

Cecelia Ahern is best known for her book (and consequently, the movie) PS, I Love You. If you've never read any of her books, I highly recommend her - she is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. She is Irish and all her books are set in Ireland which is a beautiful backdrop for her stories (I'm sensing a theme with my books lately... all Irish... hmm...) One of my favorite books by her is Can You See Me Now? about an imaginary friend (heard they were going to make a movie out of that one too, with Hugh Jackman, but maybe they decided not too)

Anyway... I just finished her book Thanks for the Memories. It's been out for awhile, but I've just now gotten around to reading it. It's beautiful, a little magical, full of family and just sweet.

Justin Hitchcock donates blood one day during blood drive week at the Dublin college campus where he's a guest speaker for the art department. He lives in London though (where his only daughter lives and is going to school) and is only in Ireland sporadically.

Joyce Conway has an accident and receives a blood transfusion in the Dublin hospital. Her marriage is falling apart and she moves in with her elderly father after the accident. She starts remembering things she shouldn't - places she's never visited, she knows a lot about art and architecture and even languages she didn't know before. She has memories of a little blond girl that she's never met.

This story follows their two lives as they keep seeing each other in passing and are trying to connect the dots. The interaction between Joyce and her quirky father is sweet and believable. She loves him, he drives her nuts, and she's afraid for him as he gets older. Justin loves his daughter, has problems with his ex-wife and is trying to be a good father while he finds himself back in the world of singletons.

I'm not that great at book reviews or whatever, but I have to say I really enjoyed this book. And if you liked PS, I Love You, you should definitely check this book out. And if you haven't read either one of them... well... you need too. =)

1 comment:

Karen Whittal said...

I loved this book, I couldn't put it down, absolutely a must read