Friday, October 15, 2010

Book Review: That Certain Spark

Book Details
Title: That Certain Spark
Author: Cathy Marie Hake
2009, Bethany House
ISBN: 9780764203206

From the Back Cover
Gooding, Texas, is about to gain a double blessing - a veterinarian and a doctor. But when siblings Enoch and Taylor Bestman arrive, the discovery that the long-awaited doctor is in fact a woman has the town up in arms. Karl Van der Vort is on exception, though he becomes Taylor's first patient... against his will.

Karl find he can't deny Taylor's doctoring skills, but he also can't come to terms with her unladylike occupation. Taylor, on the other hand, wants only to prove that doctoring is her life's calling, despite the town's opposition. But when her practice - and Taylor herself - are threatened, Karl's protectiveness flares into a different emotion altogether.

My Review
This is the first book I've read by this author. I liked it. It was cute and I always enjoy these Christian historical romance-type books. I thought the storyline was good and interesting and the characters were all very likeable. I thought it was kind of predictable for these types of books (which isn't necessarily bad since I usually like them) although I felt it left a few loose ends. I'm not sure if this author's books are interconnected or not. It doesn't look like a series, but there was one character in particular in this book that I wondered what happened to her after I finished the book.

My only other thought and/or complaint is that although the author is an RN, I wondered about a couple situations in the book when it came to the doctor tending to someone. Since it was set back in 1892, I wasn't sure that they knew much about things like breast cancer and what to do about it - even the medical doctors trained in Chicago. I just felt like there may have been a little 21st century medicine creeping into the novel.

Overall, good book. I will probably check out some more of this authors books. It was a quick read with a sweet story.

No comments: