Thursday, June 30, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot Once Upon a Twilight Book Tour

AbandonBook Details: 
Title: Abandon (The Abandon Trilogy #1) 
Author: Meg Cabot 
2011, Scholastic 
ARC Copy 
Genre: YA fantasy/paranormal

Book Summary: 
Pierce knows what it's like to die because she's one it before. 

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help ut feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone ... because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back. 

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid. 

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away ... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most. 

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld. 

The myth of Persephone ... Darkly Re-imagined. 

My Review: 
I was very excited to read this book - and a little skeptical. I love Meg Cabot's books, but her last one about the vampires made me wonder why she was attempting another one of these paranormal sort of books and not just sticking to The Princess Diaries type. 

I was pretty happy with this one though! First, I've always been a big Greek Mythology fan, so to find out that this series is based loosely on the Myth of Hades and Persephone was intriguing to me. Meg Cabot's characters are always kind of flaky and quirky and I wasn't sure at first if I liked that about Pierce, but she really grew on me as the book went on. 

I also really liked the character of John - a death deity. He is mysterious, brooding, protective and loving all wrapped up in one person. I expected him to actually BE in more of the story, but he was kind of in the background for most of the book. Cabot also used some interesting secondary characters that I liked, Pierce's parents, cousin, and Mr. Smith, the cemetery caretaker, and the Furies. Cabot used a lot of historical facts or references for this fiction book - I always like a book that is based on something realistic. 

I have to say I was a little frustrated at first because I felt like Cabot just jumped right into the story and I had no idea what was going on - and it took her half the book to slowly explain it. But although I was kind of annoyed about that, I still couldn't seem to put the book down! 

I am greatly looking forward to the next installment of this series to find out what happens with John and Pierce! This one really left the reader hanging at the end and wishing for the next one! 

Thank you to Once Upon A Twilight for hosting the Abandon Book Tour and giving me the opportunity to review this book. http://www.onceuponatwilight.com


No comments: