Saturday, June 4, 2011

Book Review: Stilettos & Scoundrels

Stilettos & Scoundrels
Book Details:
Title: Stilettos & Scoundrels
Author: Laina Turner Molaski
2010, Five Seas Ink Publishing
ISBN:978-0-578-03407-2
Genre: Chick-lit? Mystery?


Book Summary:
Presley Thurman, a sassy, thirty-something red-head, lover of shopping and Starbucks had just been fired so she decided to follow her dream. With her feisty nature and a spirit to not "sweat the small stuff," she was ready to tackle any challenge (even if she had no idea how she would pay the bills). However, the new job turned into murder - in her home town! Presley was excited she hadn't seen so much buzz since the spring sample sale at Saks.


Presley was able to discover the Senator's wife, Helen, had been having an affair ... with her best friend's boyfriend! Did Helen kill the Senator? Or was it the Senator's love of gambling that got him killed? And what was Cooper's secret tie to the mob boss Garrison Palazzo? But could she find the killer and write her story wile resisting the good looks and charm of old flame Cooper? 


Presley was betting her favorite pair of Manolo's she will find the killer ... but will time run out!


My Review:
Okay, I'm not going to spend too much time on this review because, frankly, I didn't really enjoy this book. I felt that Presley was a spoiled brat who always got her way (or thought she should). I think she was supposed to come across more "sassy", but to me she just seemed ridiculous. The character reminded me a little of Rebecca Bloomwood from the Shopaholic books - although I enjoyed those books, so I'm not sure what the problem was with this one.


There were also A LOT of secondary characters and I had a hard time keeping them all straight. Although, I DO have to say that the author had me guessing until the last minute who the murder was - there were so many possibilities that I couldn't figure it out until she revealed it!


It didn't help that I had a ARC copy and it was VERY un-edited. Maybe I'm just not cut out for reading ARC copies because I was very distracted by all the typos and mistakes.


Like My Blog? Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments: