Sunday, September 18, 2011

Comfort Zones

So a couple months ago at church, someone introduced me to a girl
who had, apparently, been attending out church for over a year and still
didn't know anyone. The girl is about my age, I'd guess, and has a 1-year-old daughter.
She drops her daughter off in my Toddler class and ever since that day,
I've tried to make a little bit of a connection with her.

Flash forward to a few weeks ago.
I'd been contemplating joining up with the Women's Bible Study.
They meet on Tuesday mornings and I've always talked myself out
of it because it is during morning nap time.
I've worked in the childcare and I know how hard it is on those little ones.

Well, my son doesn't take a morning nap anymore.
I'm sure I still would have talked myself out of it, but then that girl
I'd been trying to connect with - she asked me if I was going and that she'd signed up.
Uh oh! I think God was sending me a message there!

So, I signed up. I'm not really sure why I've been so averted to it.
Something about it seems too personal, or like everyone is going to be
putting on a show or something - or maybe I thought it was more just like social group time.

Anyway... last week was the first week.
It was good. It wasn't as scary as I thought. The people at my table didn't seem fake-y to me. AND it was kind of fun to get to visit with other ladies who I don't usually see on Sunday mornings. Pushed out of my comfort zone and survived! =)

Another good thing?
It's forcing me to keep up on studying my Bible.
We are doing a pretty involved book this time around.
Covenant: God's Enduring Promises by Kay Arthur
Lots of color-coding passages of Bible, which was freaking some people out
(but I'm secreting enjoying!)

So today, I'm having a somewhat quiet day at work (probably one of my last - so I'm trying to enjoy it!)

I decided to bring along my Bible Study homework since I'm a couple days behind. (see why I need this?)

I was also thinking about how I'm doing this in support of that girl - but in reality - maybe she's the one helping me since she's was brave enough to do it regardless of knowing anyone or not. =)

No comments: