Saturday, April 12, 2014

A New Phase - Sports!

Today my mom and I drove all around and purchased all the needed supplies and equipment for Malachi to start soccer! I signed him up for a 5 week session of soccer with a local organization. He informed me he would rather play football, but I said that it's not football season, so he'd have to be happy for soccer....

I think buying all the new stuff today made him really excited to start though. He got new cleats, socks, shin guards and a new pair of shorts and shirt. He's supposed to get a team shirt and a soccer ball for signing up. I wish I could post the picture I took of him when we got home today... he had to try it all on and see how it made him run fast! Oh! Plus I learned something new... apparently WalMart carries cleats. Who knew? $8! Sounds pretty good for something he's going to wear about a dozen times before he outgrows them.

Some of his little friends started playing last year... at 3- and 4-years-old. That's all fine and good, but I just wasn't ready. Not that I wasn't ready because I didn't think he was old enough, but I just knew that once IT started (meaning sports), they would probably never end. This will most likely be our lives for the next 15 years, so I was purposely putting it off. I could probably put it off for another summer, but I think he's ready.

And a commitment it is! It's two nights a week for five weeks. That seems like a lot - plus it doesn't start until 6pm! Is it just me or does that seem late? My poor Zachary is going to be ready for bed by the time we get home those nights! Ah well... I'm sure I'll get used to it and they'll be cute out there while playing.



No comments: