Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Book Review: Home on the Range


Book Details
Title: Home on the Range
Series: Double S Ranch
Author: Ruth Logan Herne
2016, Waterbrook Press
ISBN:978-1601427786
Genre: Christian Contemporary Fiction

Book Summary:
Can the brother left behind and a woman without hope work together for the good of two precious children?

Nick Stafford stayed in central Washington, working his family’s large ranch after his brothers left to pursue other passions—but his toughest job is being a single dad. As a child he watched his father fail at marriage and parenting, so Nick was determined to show him up. He’d be a better husband, father, and ranch manager than Sam Stafford ever was. Despite that commitment, three years after Nick’s wife left him, he has a daughter in trouble at school and both of his girls are facing issues that force him to rethink his stubborn plans. 

For Dr. Elsa Andreas, life fell apart when tragedy caused her to abandon her family therapy practice and retreat to the backwoods of Gray’s Glen. Her school principal sister believes Elsa can guide the Stafford girls and that working with kids will draw Elsa out of her protective bubble. 

Summer on the Double S teems with life and adventure. Amid the bounty of God and land, will Nick and Elsa find the courage to build futures based on faith rather than fear?


My Review:
This was the first book I've read by this author and it was very enjoyable. Obviously, I did not read the first book in the series and although it probably would have added to my book experience because I would have known some of the background story, I think this book can easily be a stand alone. I am from Western Washington and have been to some of the places surrounding this story, so that was a fun little part for me. 

Nick is a single dad whose wife left him with two daughters. He works hard at the Double S, the middle son, and the only one still working at the ranch. He puts a lot of stock in being better than his dad was, but is failing miserably. Then his eldest daughter starts having a lot of trouble at school and he has to make some adjustments.

Dr. Andreas was an interesting character. I had a hard time getting into her at first because she was so hermit-like and mysterious. But the farther into the book I got, the better I liked her. Can she learn to trust God and herself again while helping Nick and his girls get back on track?

It is a great story of real-life issues. A story of redemption and forgiveness... and not just forgiveness of others. Sometimes we have to learn to forgive ourselves. I really enjoyed the story. I felt like it was not too predictable and it felt real. I would definitely read another book in the series.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Press for my honest review. No other compensation was given and all thoughts and opionions are my own.

No comments: