Friday, October 23, 2009

Applique

One thing I've discovered on my own (still, my mom is proud) is applique! I saw some cute little onesies that someone was selling with cute little appliques on the front (for like $14 or so each! For a scrap of fabric and and a onesie!) and thought... "hey, I could do that". So.... I researched on the web how I might do that and low and behold! it's so simple.

I had a 50% off coupon to JoAnn's and used it on my Heat-and-Bond. I think I will be set for life... 5 3/4 yards of the stuff. Then I looked up some simple coloring pages on the web to use as patterns. I discovered that most of the "free applique patterns" on the web are very "country" style and meant for quilting. That wasn't exactly what I was looking for when it came to my baby wearing it and I wanted something simple - not something I had to add a bunch of embrordiary too. Somewhere I saw a suggestion to use coloring book pages, so I looked them up on the web and they work great.

I bought some fat quarters at the craft store and went to town! Cute, cute!

Here's how I do mine:
Wash onesie and fabrics to minimize weird shrinkage
Heat and bond to fabric
Then cut out the shape I want
Arrange my shapes to make sure they all fit right
Iron the applique onto my onesie or bodysuit
Then I hand-stitch around the edges of each piece. You could machine stitch it, but I like the look of the hand-stitching.

TaDa! Super easy!

No comments: