Friday, October 23, 2009

Sewing projects

Well! I have started on a journey that I know my mom is probably very proud of. For years she has tried to get me into every kind of craft imaginable - I think I've about tried it all. Knitting, crocheting, quilting, painting, drawing, sewing, card-making, scrapbooking, soap-making - I've even done quilling! Now... the only thing that's kind of stuck over the years is knitting. From time to time I go back to something like scrapbooking or card-making when I need it, but for the most part, I've left most of it behind me. I have a half-made queen size quilt left at her house somewhere.

Recently, since the birth of my son, I've randomly gotten inspired to start sewing! I thought maybe it was because I've been home more days a week, but that's not it because I was home part-time the whole year I was pregnant and didn't get inspired. (Although I did knit two baby blankets and multiple hats during that time - which is a little more than my usual scarf)

I suppose it is probably from having a baby... also from seeing the price of everything for baby! It's amazing what people charge for simple items that can be made yourself. Anyway... I've been sewing up a storm and all those skills my mom tried to teach me are coming back. Of course, I've had to put in a few phone calls to her for tips and questions, but for the most part I think she can be proud. I can read a simple pattern, sew it up and have it turn out fairly decent.

I have been on a crafty jag and don't quite know what to think about it. I have started selling some things on Etsy.com because I honestly don't think I can give everything away (planning on some good baby shower gifs in the future). I have no idea how long this will last, but I'm having fun with it. I'm planning on posting some links to different free patterns on the web. I've taken these and others and combined what I like (or deleted what I don't) out of each and made my own things. Maybe one day I'll post my own free instructions! =)

No comments: