Sunday, November 7, 2010

Book Review: Dead to the World

Dead to the World (Original MM Art): A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Book Details
Title: Dead to the World
Author: Charlaine Harris
2004, Ace Books
ISBN: 9780441012183
Genre: Paranormal Romance

Summary (from the back cover):
It's not every day that you come across a naked man on the side of the road. That's why cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse doesn't just drive on by. Turns out the poor thing hasn't a clue who he is, but Sookie does. It's Eric the vampire - but now he's a kinder, gentler Eric. And a scared Eric, because whoever took his memory now wants his life. Sookie's investigation into who and why leads straight into a dangerous battle among witches, vampires, and werewolves. But a greater danger could be to Sookie's heart - because this version of Eric is very difficult to resist...

My Review
Spoiler Alert! I usually try to refrain from giving anything important away in my review - but this one just might.
Okay... in my opinion these books just keep getting better and better. The first couple books in the series I thought were just okay, but the last couple I've really enjoyed. Maybe part of it, is that I was never a huge fan of Vampire Bill and since they've been broken up in this book and the last one, I've liked it better. I think the real reason though is that she's bringing in a lot of new characters that I really like.

This book tied up some loose ends from the previous book with Alcide the werewolf and his girlfriend, Debbie Pelt. I keep hoping Sookie will get together with him... seems a better choice than a vampire. Also, I really liked the twist with the vampire Eric losing his memory and the little interlude with Sookie and it will be interesting to see where that ends up leading in the next book. In this one we got to see a little bit of everything, vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters (non-Were's), witches and even a fairy!

If you like the Sookie books, I think you'll enjoy this one... unless of course you really like Bill, then probably not. =)

No comments: