Friday, February 25, 2011

Book Review: Voyager

Voyager (Outlander)
Book Details:
Title: Voyager (Outlander book 3)
Author: Diana Gabaldon
1994, Dell
ISBN: 0-440-217563


Book Summary (from the back cover):
Their passionate encounter happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her ... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.


Then Claire discovers that Jamie survived. Torn between returning to him and staying with their daughter in her own era, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face the passion and the pain awaiting her ... the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland ... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that can reunite - or forever doom - her timeless love.


My Review:
After being slightly unimpressed with the last novel in the series, A Dragonfly in Amber, I was mesmerized by this one! Almost from the beginning page, I was immersed into the story and stayed that way for all 1,059 pages.

Once again, Diana Gabaldon weaves a beautiful tale and mixes in a large dose of Scottish history. I think some may find all the detail, historical or otherwise, a bit much and may get bogged down in the story, but I think it makes it all very interesting.

I am also becoming aware that she is very good at bringing characters in and out of each of her books. People you think she's killed off or that they were unimportant come back later in the story.

Of course I am thrilled that Jamie and Claire are together once again and I'm eagerly anticipating reading the next book. I am sure that Brianna, their daughter, must find her way to the 18th century to be re-united with her parents, although I do not know what she will do with Roger Wakefield. Hm....

I AM choosing to take a little break though. These novels are so time-consuming and long that I have a few others piled up - a couple of them from the library - so I need to quickly read through those before picking up the forth installment of the Outlander series. Next, I'm reading a book for my Page to Screen Challenge, Beezus and Ramona. I haven't read it since I was a kid and it will be simple and easy following these long and detailed novels!




Like My Blog? Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments: