Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book Review: Dead in the Family

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 10)
Book Details:
Title: Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse #10)
Author: Charlaine Harris
2010, Ace Books
ISBN:978-0-441-01864-2
Genre: Paranormal Romance

Book Summary (from the inside cover):
A Fae War has left the supernatural community of Bon Temps, Louisiana, in chaos - and waitress Sookie Stackhouse mentally and physically drained. And still, the peace and quiet she so desperately craves is hard to come by ...
Even with the blood of two vampires in her system, Sookie is having trouble healing from the terrible torture she endured at the hands of her great-grandfather's enemies during the brief  but deadly Fae War. Worse are the emotional wounds - especially over the loss of her own personal fairy godmother and the near death of her first love.
Sookie is hurt and she's made. Just about the only bright spot in her life - besides the fact that she is, after all, still alive - is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman, who is under scrutiny by the new vampire king because of their relationship.
As the political implications of the shifters' coming-out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to one particular Were draws her into the dangerous debate. And, unknown to her, though the doors to Faery have been closed, there are still some fae on the human side - and one of them is angry at Sookie. Very, very angry.

My Review:
Can I just start out by saying that I'm very unhappy that I've come to the end of the currently published books?! I have to wait until May for the 11th  book! And then I think she only comes out with one a year. Geez!

Anyway... I really enjoyed this book in the series. Sookie was pretty battered from the previous book and as terrible as it sounds, I kinda liked it that it took her a while to bounce back - so many bad things happy to her and she's so perky usually.

This one had the interesting twist of Eric's maker coming into the mix - up until that point I'd been thinking that maybe Sookie should just get turned, but now I'm thinking that might not be such a great idea, giving Eric that much power over her - unless someone else turned her, like Pam? Hmm....

And although I haven't decided if I think Sookie SHOULD become a vampire or not, I've started to kind of leaning in that direction. Would she still be a telepath? I was also interested to see she spent a little time contemplating it, which I think she'd always been totally against it before.

I still really like Eric and hope that they stay together. Bill is annoying and Sam is a little strange - although good friend material. I have to say also that I'm glad that her brother Jason is slowly becoming an adult - finally.

Soooo.... I'm eagerly anticipating the next installment of the series. I'm actually going to pre-order the next book, which is something I NEVER do. I hardly ever buy books and when I do, they are usually in paperback. =)



Like My Blog? Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments: