Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Book Review: The Scent of Jasmine

The Scent of Jasmine (Edilean)
Book Details:
Title: The Scent of Jasmine
Author: Jude Deveraux
2011, Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 978-0-7434-7902-8
Genre: Historical Romance Fiction


Book Summary (from the back cover):
Charleston, 1799: A daughter of Southern gentility and a gifted painter, Catherine Edilean Harcourt has no lack of suitors at home in Virginia, waiting to fulfill her dream of marriage and family. But Cay's adventurous spirit, fostered by growing up with her three brothers, is piqued wile visiting her godfather in South Carolina. Bedridden with a broken leg, he asks Cay to fill in for him on an urgent task: on her way to a fancy dress ball, she must deliver a packed horse to an old friend's son - who also happens to be an escaped convict charged with murdering his wife!
Cay agrees to the plan, which doesn't go at all as planned ... whereupon she finds herself fleeing Alexander McDowell's captors, riding blind into the night with the fugitive Scotsman. Though she should fear him, Cay finds herself overwhelmingly attracted to Alex, and drawn into his tale of misguided justice and his innocence as they seek refuge in the steamy Florida everglades. Will trusting him be the worst mistake of her life? Or will falling in love be the salvation both of them have been looking for?


My Review:
Hmm.... I'm not exactly sure what to say about this one. I liked it ... and I didn't like it. 


First off - what I liked. The book was a fun read. The characters were enjoyable and quirky with a lot of humor, which I liked a lot. There was a lot of action packed into this novel - AND of course I always enjoy a good historical fiction. =)


What I didn't like so much - the story was completely unbelievable. I know some people would probably say all romance novels are unbelievable, but that's not what I mean. It irritates me when a book is supposed to be a historical fiction, but yet breaks all rules of the time period. I just didn't feel like most of what happened in this story would have been realistic and it kind of lessened the whole story for me. I'll all for creative liberties and such, and the breaking of some rules is okay - but I just felt this one was way off in that department.


All in all, it was enjoyable and passed the time. Not amazing and not terrible. 




Like My Blog? Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments: