Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book Review: Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Book Details:
Title: Insatiable
Author: Meg Cabot
2010, Harper Collins
ISBN: 978-0-06-173506-6
Genre: Chick-lit, Paranormal
 
Summary (from the inside cover):
Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.
But her bosses are making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them.
Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die. (Not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does.)
But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets- then makes the mistake of falling in love with - Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.
The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met whom she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able to look into her own.
and while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.
Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future...
If she even has one.
 
My Review:
Okay, I usually LOVE Meg Cabot books. I haven't read them all, but I've always liked the ones I HAVE read. This was not my favorite. I want to say that I loved this book, but I didn't. But I can't really say I hated it either.
 
I think I liked about the first half or two-thirds of this book. I actually sat up late reading a few nights after I got off work at midnight! Then it just kind of fell apart. Ridiculous things started happening (okay... I know what you're thinking... this book is about vampires - it's not realistic!). But it wasn't that. I didn't like the ending - she went off with the wrong guy, in my opinion! She made the guy I like end up being more like a creepy guy at the end. And some really far-fetched things happened - even for vampires.
 
I really enjoyed the beginning when she was making references to other vampire stories like "I'm surprised he wasn't sparkling or something?" (Twilight) or "Sookie Stackhouse, and she's made up" and "that vampire show on HBO" (TruBlood/ Sookie Stackhouse novels). But then it went off on it's own direction - and although it's characters were pretty fun and quirky like Meg Cabot's other books, there was just something I didn't like about this one. I did think her version of how vampires came to be was interesting - she ties in Dracula.
 
Soo... if you like vampire novels - you might like this one, even if just for the vampire-craze humor. If you like Meg Cabot's other books - you might like it, just because.
Or you might not. I think this one could go either way.
 


Like My Blog? Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments: