Friday, May 20, 2011

Book Review: The Rescue

Book Details:
Title: The Rescue
Author: Nicholas Sparks
2005, Grand Central Publishing
ISBN: 0446696129

Book Summary:
When confronted by raging fires or deadly accidents, volunteer fireman Taylor McAden feels compelled to take terrifying risks - risks no one else in the department would ever take - to save lives. But there is one leap of faith Taylor can't bring himself to make: He can't fall in love. For all his adult years, Taylor has sought out women who need to be rescued, women he leaves as soon as their crisis is over, as soon as the relationship starts to become truly intimate.

Then, one day, a raging, record-breaking storm hits his small Southern town. Denise Holton, a young single mother, is driving through it when her car skids off the road. With her is her four-year-old son, Kyle, a boy with severe learning disabilities and for whom she has sacrificed everything. Unconscious and bleeding, she-but not Kyle-will be found by Taylor McAden. And when she wakes, the chilling truth becomes clear to both of them: Kyle is gone.

During the search for Kyle, the connection, the lifeline, between Taylor and Denise takes root. Taylor doesn't know that this rescue will be different from all the others, demanding far more than raw physical courage. That it will lead him to the possibility of his own rescue from a life lived without love. That it will require him to open doors to his past that were slammed shut by pain. That it will dare him to live life to the fullest by daring to love. 

My Review:
Although this was a re-read for me, I honestly didn't remember much about the book. I don't even remember how long ago I read it. I think this may be one of my favorite Nicholas Sparks books though.

Both the characters of Taylor and Denise are pretty deep. Denise is a single mother and her son Kyle has some language difficulties. She is an amazing, sacrificial mother although she's portrayed pretty normal considering. Taylor has a lot of deep issues that aren't readily noticeable on the surface.

Their love story is sweet and heart-breaking. The character developments are painful at times. Of course someone has to die - I mean, this is Nicholas Sparks. Some of the parts with Kyle made me shed a tear or two - which says something because I'm usually pretty stoic while reading books.

The only complaint I have about this book is the way he writes from the different characters perspectives. I can't explain it exactly, but he jumps from one character to another all in the same section, which tends to be a little confusing sometimes. He'll be thinking from Taylor's perspective and then cut to his mom, Judy, and then back to Taylor within the same paragraph. I don't think I've ever noticed that with any of his other books, so maybe it's just because it's one of Sparks' earlier books.

Anyway... I definitely recommend it! Pick this one up if you haven't already read it - you won't be disappointed!


Like My Blog? Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments: