Saturday, July 9, 2011

Book Review: Laird of the Mist

Book Details:
Title: Laird of the Mist
Author: Paula Quinn
2007, Forever
ISBN:0-446-61912-4
Genre: Historical Romance

Summary:
High-born though she is, Kate Campbell isn't afraid to draw her sword. When raiders strike, she rushes into the fray ... and is lucky when a mysterious Highlander shields her from a deadly blow. Swept onto his stallion, she soon discovers that her rescuer is her clan's most hated enemy: Callum MacGregor, the man they call The Devil. Yet she cannot ignore his achingly tender touch or the way his fiery gaze leaves her breathless...

Callum MacGregor has taken many Campbell lives,  but he's never saved one - until now. Mesmerized by this spirited lass, he wants her by his side, even if it means holding her for ransom. As his fingers graze her sumptuous curves and tangle in her unruly tresses, Callum realizes Kate Campbell is his most dangerous foe of all. For he can't make love to her without betraying his kinsmen and his honor ... and surrendering his heart forever.

My Review:
This is the 3rd book I've read by Paula Quinn. I started out with two of her books in the Children of the Mist series. Then I realized that THIS book was the precursor to that series and was the story of their father, so I checked it out.

I have to say, I think this book is written a little differently than the others. They are all romances, but this one seems a little more corny to me. The wording she used in parts seemed very contrived and well, corny, to me. I'm not a regular romance reader, but this one was a tiny bit far-fetched for me to swallow. I DID like it though. It was a good, quick read and had a pretty good plot line. It was the typical Bad Boy redeemed by a Good Girl book with a Scottish twist (meaning - there was blood and fighting involved)

-
I am reading these books totally out of order -
I won the second Children of the Mist book on a blog and then read the first one. Now I've gone back even farther to the first Mist book. Apparently there is one following this A Highlander Never Surrenders featuring some of the characters from this one AND THEN I will check out the third Children of the Mist book that just came out July 1st!
Finally! I'll be on track with this storyline! I hate reading things out of order!

No comments: