Sunday, September 25, 2011

Book Review: Deja Dead (aka "Bones!")

I'm a little behind on my book reviews.... 
here's a couple quick ones to get me caught up. =)

Book Details:
Title: Deja Dead (Temperance Brennan #1)
Author: Kathy Reichs
1997, Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 0-671-01136-7

Book Summary:
In the year since Tempe left behind a shaky marriage in North Carolina, work has often preempted her weekend plans to explore Quebec. But when an unidentified female corpse is discovered meticulously dismembered and stashed in garbage bags, Tempe detects an alarming pattern within the grisly handiwork - and her professional detachment gives way to a harrowing search for a killer in the city's winding streets. With little help from the police., Tempe calls on her expertise, honed in the isolated intensity of the autopsy suite, to investigate on her own. But her determined chase is about to place those closest to her - her best friend and her own daughter - in mortal danger...

My Review:
This was given to me by one of our volunteers at the hospital... she told me I HAD to read it. It is a little different genre than I usually pick up, but I do have to say I enjoyed it.

Characters: Temperance is fun and interesting.... obviously she has a very depressing and gross job, but somehow that makes you like her more. She is separated from her husband... not sure why they're not divorced already because it didn't seem like they had any desire to get back together and I thought it just kind of muddied the waters a little.
Secondary characters - police officers and friends... good. I thought all the different officers were a little confusing.

Plot: Good. It seemed a little slow at the beginning. The setting is in Montreal, Quebec and there is a lot of French to wade through. My mom read this book before I did and I thought she probably had an easier time than I did wading through all the French because she lived in France for two years as a kid.... she can still pick up on some French. I found it hard to read though. I also found it hard to get through all her explanations on the locations in the city! Seriously! I do not need a mental map of EVERYWHERE Tempe goes!

Good book. Kind of gory - obviously. Dead bodies and all that. Once I got a few chapters into it though I was hooked.

For those who didn't catch it - if you're a fan of the show Bones, this is the book series that the show is based on. My mom has been obsessively watching the show ever since reading the book.... I might watch it one of these days too..... =)

No comments: