Friday, September 2, 2011

Book Series Review: The Hunger Games Triology



Book Details:
Title: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire & Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA Fiction


Book Summary (The Hunger Games):
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.


Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katinss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


My Review:
This series is amazing, heart-breaking and compelling. I almost couldn't put it down. The first book keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering how a government could weld it's powers so (although... this is no worse than some REAL governments in history - Hitler anyone?). The second book, Catching Fire, is equally fascinating and the third book, Mockingjay, although necessary to the story, was my least favorite. 


Katniss Everdeen is a strong, likeable character. Although she has this issue with two guys being in love with her - and she doesn't seem to know which one she loves more in return. I hate to draw comparison's because their characters are completely different, but in the relationship department it seemed a little like Bella from Twilight not being able to decide between Jacob and Edward. It was a little frustrating to me - like she was playing both sides.


Gale, the hunter and Peeta, the baker - the guys - are both worthy characters. They were completely different, which I appreciated. I was disappointed in the end because she didn't end up with MY favorite, but I'd been preparing myself for that since about 1/3 into Mockingjay. Somehow I just felt that I wasn't going to get my wish. After several days of reading almost non-stop, I actually stopped about 23 pages from the end and didn't know if I could go on because I was afraid of how the book would end. I am a HEA book-lover and I knew this book wasn't going to have it - I was right, but it wasn't quite as bad as I expected.

I feel like this is going to be one of those books that lingers with me for several days after I've finished it.


I could probably go on and on - I'm excited about the movie coming out in 2012. If you haven't read the books, you should. We'll leave it at that.

No comments: