Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Shift Work Survival

Okay... so I think that title was maybe a little dramatic.

I am attempting to figure out a new routine with my new work schedule.
In some ways I think it will be better. Instead of leaving at 2:30 pm each day, I'll be leaving at 5:00 pm. This gives several more hours with my Little Guy and the added bonus of being home during nap time!

On the other hand, I'm working one extra shift a pay period, and I don't get home until 1:30 or 2:30 am. Last night I was home at 2:30 and I won't lie... I'm pretty tired today. And I even took a 1 hour nap while the Little Guy napped yesterday. I think that is going to have to be a new routine for me on work days... naps. Which kind of defeats the bonus of being home during it! Argh! =)

I'm liking my new position so far though. It's interesting being in the ER. So many weird and interesting people come in. Last night I had an older man telling me all about his hernia surgery from 2 years ago and another guy was attempting to show me his urine bag attached to his catheter (uh... no thank you!). So... although I may get more of an education than I was bargaining for in the ER... I don't think it will be boring either!

I just read a really great article in Women's Day magazine about women who choose to work the night shift and why. Apparently this is becoming more and more common across the country - basically for the same reason I do. Saves on childcare costs and allows us to stay home more with our children during the day! Interesting! It's in the October17th issue if you'd like to pick up a copy.

No comments: