Sunday, October 14, 2012

Book Review: Twice A Bride by Mona Hodgson

Book Details:
Title: Twice A Bride
Author: Mona Hodgson
Series: The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek
2012, Waterbrook Press
ISBN: 9780307730329
Genre: Christian Fiction, Historical Fiction

Book Summary:
Willow Peterson is at a crossroads. Standing alone over her father's fresh grave, she ponders the question she's seen etched on everyone else's face. Will this loss send her over the edge too, as her husband's death did? She has come back once from the devastating effects of loss, started fresh in Cripple Creek, Colorado, and might find her second chance at love working as a portrait artist for photographer Trenton Van Der Veer. With help of the spirited Sinclair Sisters, can Willow embrace God's plan to overcome her past and provide a home for her?

My Review:
This was the first book I’ve read by this author – and also the first I’ve read in the Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek series. I have to admit that at first I had a hard time connecting with the story because this must be at least the 4th book in the series. I felt that I should have known more about the other women in this book and was a little lost at first because I didn’t.

As I got farther into the story though, Willow and Trenton really captured my attention for themselves and I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. It was interesting to think about portrait painting from a photograph or how photographers would hire people to “colour” a photograph. There are also lots of moments with other characters to make it interesting and obviously continuing stories of the sisters from the previous books. This makes for a lot going on and if you can keep it all straight, then it’s pretty fast-tracked.

This seemed to be the last book of the series… it seemed that a lot of loose ends were being tied up at the end of this book. I enjoyed the novel, but would suggest to other readers that you pick up the other books in the series first. I felt like this was a series that really built upon itself and were not really meant to be stand-alone books.

Disclaimer: This book was provided to me free of charge by Waterbrook Press for my honest review. No other compensation was received.


No comments: