Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Book Review: A Wreath of Snow by Liz Curtis Higgs

Book Details:
Title: A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella
Author: Liz Curtis Higgs
2012, Waterbrook Press
ASIN: B007SYQ4K6
Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction



Book Summary:
All Margaret Campbell wants for Christmas is a safe journey home. When her plans for a festive holiday with her family in Stirling crumble beneath the weight of her brother’s bitterness, the young schoolteacher wants nothing more than to return to the students she loves and the town house she calls home. 
 
Then an unexpected detour places her in the path of Gordon Shaw, a handsome newspaperman from Glasgow, who struggles under a burden of remorse and shame. 
 
When the secret of their shared history is revealed, will it leave them tangled in a knot of regret? Or might their past hold the threads that will bind their future together?


My Review:
I don't like to give spoilers, but I'm not sure how to do that with this short little novel. This was a sweet story. For being a short novella, I felt that the characters were very well developed and that there was a lot of substance to the story line. 

Margaret is a schoolteacher and she has traveled home from Edinburgh to spend the holiday with her family. Unfortunately, her brother is so negative and difficult, stemming from an accident he endured 10 years before, that she is on a train attempting to return to Edinburgh on Christmas Eve. An accident with the train occurs and in the aftermath she meets Gordon Shaw.

Gordon Shaw is also from Stirling, but he is only there to cover a story. He left long ago after a tragedy and has lived in guilt ever since. He is forced to face this guilt head-on, but will he be able to do it? And will there be forgiveness on the other side?

The only negative I would have, is that I thought some of the relationships moved faster than what I felt would be realistic. But, being as this is just a short story, I kinda feel like that should be overlooked. It would take a much longer book to bring about a more realistic relationship.

This is my second book read by this author and I'm thinking I will have to check out some more of her work.

Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers for my honest review. No other compensation was received and all opinions are mine.

No comments: