Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Book Review: Dead as a Doornail

Dead as a Doornail (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 5)

Book Details
Title: Dead as a Doornail
Author: Charlaine Harris
Series: Sookie Stackhouse Book 5
2005, Ace Books
ISBN: 9780441013333
Genre: Paranormal Romance

Book Summary (from the back cover):
Small-town cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse has had more than her share of experience with the supernatural - but now it's really hitting close to home. When Sookie sees her brother Jason's eyes start to change, she knows he's about to turn into a werepanther for the first time - a transformation he embraces more readily than most shape-shifters she knows. But her concern becomes cold fear when a sniper sets his deadly sights on the local changeling population, and Jason's new panther brethren suspect he may be the shooter. Now Sookie has until the next full moon to find out who's behind the attacks - unless the killer decides to find her first ...

My Review:
I'm really getting into these books. I'm enjoying all the other supernatural creatures that Harris is bringing into the stories besides just the vampires. I like the distinctions between
"shape-shifters" and "Weres" (werewolves) and all the different politics of the different groups.


My small complaint is that I think Sookie gets into just a few too many scrapes and some of the scrapes aren't exactly necessary considering she's been around the supernatural world for awhile now. I also don't think she should be having little interludes with every hot guy she comes across. I mean, she apparently has two vampires, a shape-shifter, a werewolf and a werepanther that want her and she's still getting the warm and fuzzies for other random guys she comes across - I just don't get that. I mean, aren't all those other guys trouble enough?

I know I said in the last book that I was glad Sookie's not with Bill anymore, but I'm starting to feel a little sorry for him. I'm not sure that I really want them to get together again, but he's kind of pathetic and tries pretty hard in a jealous sort of way.

Okay, well, I now have to move on to some of the other books on my Reading Challenge list, but I really enjoyed Dead as a Doornail. Sookie Stackhouse fans should like it!

No comments: