Friday, February 24, 2012

Mommy School Catch Up

Well, for the past month and a half we have been working on the same Mommy School unit "W is for Winter".

With moving and all my extra working I've been doing this month, we really needed some extra time to do some of the activities. I still feel like we could have done a lot more though! I wish I'd had a little more time. =)

I think I'm about to wrap it up at the end of the month though.

So far we've read:
Favorites:
-Animals in Winter by Henrietta Bancroft
-Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
-The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
-Hello Snow! by Hope Vestergaard
Curious George in the Snow by H.A. Rey

Duds:
All You Need for a Snowman by Alice Schertle
The Biggest, Best Snowman by Margery Cuyler
Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan Londan


  • As always, we enjoy all the Songs and Fingerplays provided with the unit, such as Ring Around the Snowman. =)
  • After our snowstorm, we went on a Winter Walk and talked about the difference between now and summertime.
  • We used the Mitten ABC page to go over different numbers. He's too little to really identify the number of mittens in each square, but he loved talking about them.
  • Snowman Sequence - we used the 4 sequencing cards to try to place what happened to the snowman in order. This was a new concept and I think he kinda got it.
  • Snowman names - We created a snowman by spelling out his name! I did a lot of the work for this one, but he glued it all together! He was so proud! Then we drew around our hands on construction paper and decorated our paper mittens.

We also did some color matching with different colored snowflakes and assembled a mitten puzzle.

Well, that's about it. I'm thinking we will probably just repeat these for the rest of the month and then I have to decide on a unit for March which is looking to be equally busy .

No comments: