Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Nice Days and Mommy School

The weather has finally warmed up around here and we've been trying to spend some significant time outside! I have discovered a park/wetland area next to our development and we've been taking lots of walks over there...


I'm back doing Mommy School again this month! I've felt so bad because I've been working so much and I've been so tired that Malachi and I haven't really been doing anything productive together. I feel like this has added to some behavior frustrations between us also. So.... regardless of my work schedule and how I feel, I decided I needed to DO something with him.
Since we just went to the zoo in April, I decided it would be fun to do the Z is for Zoo unit.

We're working on identifying the Letter Z and Number 6. He can usually count from 1 to about 13 or 14 pretty well, but his identification of the individual numbers is a little lacking.
We also have been doing some of the activities like this one where he identifies the largest or smallest animal. Or the tallest or shortest. Fairly easy for him now, but still fun.

We also got some new books from the library for this unit. Our favorites so far are:
  • I Love My Mama by Peter Kavanagh
  • Welcome to the Zoo! By Alison Jay
  • Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo by H.A. Rey
Welcome to the Zoo is unique because there is no text. You can go through the book multiple times and pick out something different to look at or focus on each time.
We were excited to find a copy of Caps for Sale at my grandma's house the other day when we were cleaning it out!


No comments: