Monday, March 4, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer

Ever read the ingredient list of your store bought coffee creamer?? I did one day. It contained a whole bunch of words that I could spell or pronounce. The only things I could recognise were water and sugar.... hmm....

I went on an internet search for DIY creamers. The first one I tried had you cooking milk, heavy cream and maple syrup together in a pot, adding a vanilla bean and then cooling. I wasn't really a fan.

I've made this next version a couple times now. I've made it with regular milk and with half-and-half. It's a little creamier with the half-and-half, but I think it works well either way.

Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer

Combine sweetened condensed milk and an equal amount of half-and-half using the sweetened condensed milk can as a measuring guide. Add approximately 2 Tablespoons of vanilla. Use the amount of vanilla that tastes good to you! Stir it up really good... the sweetened condensed milk sinks to the bottom. I pour mine into a mason jar (this makes it easy to stir up once in awhile!) I also write the expiration date of my half-and-half on the jar so that I know when it's time to replace the creamer (if there's any left!).

There you go! Super easy and good and you know what's in it!! AND as an added  bonus, no more plastic containers to recycle!



No comments: