Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Eating Healthy - Again

Way back in July 2011, before I got pregnant with Zach, I wanted to lose about 10 pounds and my husband wanted to lose some weight too, so we started the 17-Day Diet together. I ended up losing 7lbs in the first 17 days (this diet has four 17-day cycles) and I so I quit. I kept that weight off until I got pregnant, which I thought was pretty good.

Well, now I have a couple pounds to lose post-baby (really... probably less than 10 this time around) and after my husband had his knee surgery earlier this fall.... he has some to lose too. I honestly don't really need to do this diet, but I want to be supportive of my husband and I know it will be easier for him if we're both doing it. Plus, I refuse to make more than one meal, so we might as well all be eating the same things.

We're currently on Day 9 and we're getting a little tired of our current food... there are not really a lot of options on this first cycle. It's mostly a detox and you eat mostly vegetables, chicken and fish, 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of probiotics. Booooorrring!

I've been scouring the internet for some interesting alternatives to what we've been eating and today I tried a couple out. =) I thought I'd share for any other 17-Day Dieter's out there who need a little help!

Apple Pie Yogurt
6 oz of plain greek yogurt
2-3 T of plain unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 packet Truvia (I think this is optional... I used it, but I think I could have left it out)
Mix everything together and YUM!

I actually used some canned Spiced Applesauce from the pantry instead of the plain unsweetened. I'm not exactly sure what spices I used in that, but I really need to use it up and it was free!

Turkey Breakfast Sausage
2lbs lean ground turkey
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp fennel seed
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, but you could also just use a large bowl, to combine all the ingredients together until well blended.
Heat a skillet over medium-high head, and coat with non-stick cooking spray (I used some coconut oil).
Form the turkey sausage into patties and fry until browned on both sides. Make sure its not pink in the center!
Cool on a paper towel. Store in refrigerator.
This made me about 14 patties.
These were excellent! So yummy!

Now I'm in the process of attempting to make my own Greek yogurt!


No comments: